Many people are eager for detailed exercise advice from Jackie Warner, star of Bravo’s reality show Workout.
Unfortunately she’s not very accessible unless you go to L.A. and drop $400.00 a session (5 session minimum).
There’s a better way to get the information you want from Jackie.
Just read Making The Cut by Jackie Warner’s Business Partner – Jillian Michaels
Jillian Michaels co-owns Skysport & Spa with Jackie Warner. And if you read their interviews and advice in the media you’ll find they have pretty much the same philosophy and approach when it comes to nutrition, exercise and weight loss. This comes as no surprise if they co-own the same gym. But here’s the good part…
Jillian Michaels Advice Is Accessible
She’s produced some great instructional fitness products. She’s got her two best selling fitness books. She’s got her best selling DVD workouts. And she’s got lots of target training and beginner workouts too.
Just in case you’re not familiar with Jillian, here’s a Bio excerpt from a 2005 Washington Post Interview transcript:
Jillian Michaels, the Beverly Hills-based personal trainer who coached her team to victory on NBC’s “The Biggest Loser”… Michaels is co-owner of Sky Sport and Spa, a penthouse fitness facility in Beverly Hills. Her clients include actors such as Amanda Peet and Mark Ruffalo. Among her credentials, she holds a Black Belt in Muay Thai. She lives in Los Angeles, California.
So I think the moral of this story is… The best way to get your Jackie Warner workout my be through Jillian!
But for clothing – that’s another matter. Here you can go straight to the source and get Jackie Warner’s Skylab clothing line.
On the Bravo Show Workout, Jackie Warner makes a breakfast protein shake for Skylab participants that uses whey protein powder as one of the ingredients. So here’s the scoop on the benefits of whey protein…
What is Whey Protein?
Whey is a high quality protein powder from cow’s milk. Milk contains two proteins: Casein (approximately 80%) and Whey Protein (approximately 20%). Whey protein is more soluble (easier to digest) than casein and also has a higher quality rating. It is often referred to as the “Gold Standard” of protein as it is the most nutritious protein available.
Whey Protein Is Quickly Used By The Body
Because whey protein is highly soluble it enters the body fast. It quickly provides the essential amino acids needed to nourish muscles and other body tissues. This is one of the reasons it’s commonly used as an ingredient in infant formula and as protein supplement for medical use.
Whey Protein is Low On The Glycemic Index
Whey protein has practically no sugar (Unless it’s flavored with sugar) Therefore it has little effect on blood glucose levels. When eaten with carbohydrate it can reduce the overall glycemic impact (the amount a food increases blood sugar levels) of the carbohydrate as well. Eating a low glycemic diet can help create a positive hormonal environment for fat loss.
Whey protein comes in two forms – Isolate and Concentrate:
- Whey Protein Isolate – Is pure and contains 90% protein with very little or no lactose and fat. (That makes it a great protein supplement for those who are lactose intolerant). It’s an ideal supplement for those who want to reduce calories and is ideal for Jackie Warner’s protein shake.
- Whey Protein Concentrate – Provides less protein (usually around 40 – 80%) with the balance of calories coming from lactose and fat. This can be desirable for certain nutrition programs.
How much protein do you need?
The answer to that question depends on the physical demands you place on your body and who you ask. Most registered nutritionists agree that highly active people have greater protein requirements than sedentary people.
Suggested daily amounts are about .6 grams of protein per pound of body weight for the average person. However, many coaches suggest up to 1.0 gram of protein per pound of body weight for strength athletes engaging in rigorous training. Check RDA guidelines to determine what works best for you.
Q&A with Jackie Warner compliments of the Boston Herald:
Q: Is it easier to lose weight in the summer?
A: “People tend to lose weight in the summer because their body temperature is more heated, theyâ€™re more active, they change their behavior. People walk more, theyâ€™re more athletic.”
Q: But do people tend to eat more things like margaritas and hot dogs because they think theyâ€™re exercising more?
A: “Thatâ€™s a caveat, but I easily shed three to five pounds once the rainy season is over in L.A. — not because I change my workout, I just naturally stop eating.”
Q: What about working out in the heat? Bad idea?
A: “I think itâ€™s great to work outdoors; I prefer it to a gym. It warms up your body temperature and muscles. I know itâ€™s bad for your skin, but I love working out in the sun, too. Just slather on the sunscreen and make sure you drink a lot of water.”
Q: Any advice for folks going on vacation? How do you stick to a fitness plan?
A: “If youâ€™re going on summer vacation, workout by hiking or walking. I mean, snorkeling is an intense workout. I used to only stay at hotels with gyms, but what a waste! I never used them. Sleep, swim, snorkel, have fun and keep it interesting.”
Q: Whatâ€™s the biggest lesson youâ€™ve learned from being on reality TV?
A: “That all of this is on my shoulders, and while the Bravo executives may like me and take me out to dinner and value what I am doing, they donâ€™t care if I win or lose. Sky Lab and Sky Sport and my fashion line, all of it is on me, and I have to make it work. You only have yourself to rely on, thatâ€™s what I learned.”
We collected these 24 fitness tips from interviews, shows and quotes so you can get Jackie Warner’s advice all in one place…
1. Eat low glycemic, low refined sugar meals.
2. Her motto – “Everything done in moderation.”
3. Every weekend is a cheat weekend. But Mon-Fri be strict with your nutrition.
4. Have a protein shake for breakfast.
5. Be careful of high sugar content in canned foods
6. Flavor foods naturally
7. Fresh salsa is one of the best low fat food flavorings
8. Don’t skip meals. It puts your body into a starvation mode and increases the chances that more of the calories from your next meal will be stored as fat.
9. Don’t drink diet soda – it can trigger a craving for carbohydrates.
10. If you are eating out, start with the vegetable portion of your meal, then move to meat, then finally the starches.
11. Eat “The Good”, “The Bad”, then “The Ugly” foods. The trick is to make yourself full on the GOOD foods so you will eat less of the UGLY foods.
On Abdominal Exercises
12. “Crunches are a waste of time”
13. Lifting weights with exercises that target the big muscle groups (chest, back, legs & butt) is the way to get better abs.
14. The only way to truly get shredded is to have a pretty balanced diet with a nice balance of cardio, but most importantly, weight lifting.
On Working Out…
15. Cardio is over-rated – resistance training your big muscle groups is what speeds metabolism.
16. If you can’t afford a personal trainer, educate yourself on fitness. Buy a fitness magazine or book.
17. The plyometric jump squat and lunges are great for your butt.
18. Fitness is about the “Three F’s” of Function, Form & Fatigue. It’s about performing the right function back-to-back with perfect form to complete fatigue.
19. For great shoulders and armsâ€¦ Do the push-up/punch combo. Start by doing as many push-ups in a row as you can. Then stand up, grab a couple of soup cans and punch one arm out, then the other, for one minute.
20. It’s not about how much time you spend in the gym. It’s about getting the most bang for your buck.
21. Swimming is great total body exercise.
22. Simplicity is key. Do not over-think your fitness routine or your diet.
On Health Insurance…
23. Less medication, more motivation.
24. High intensity training can lessen the need for sleep aids and anti-depressant medications.
It was called Jackie Warner’s Lift clothing and apparel line last season.
However, this season her new women’s fitness and clothing line has been renamed “Skylab by Jackie Warner”.
The Sky Lab line includes:
- Hot Shorts, Colorblock & Tieback Pants, Buckle Capris, Racerback Tee, V-Neck Tee, Strappy & Solid sports bras.
Prices range from $48.00 to $88.00 at paiva.
In a Bravo interview, Jackie Warner was asked for her protein shake recipe. She mentioned that she uses this low glycemic protein shake as part of her breakfast every morning. It’s also the mandatory breakfast for her skylab weight loss participants. This is what Jackie Warner Eats for breakfast:
The Skysport Protein Shake Recipe:
In addition to the shake she also has one cup of oatmeal.
Season two of Bravo’s Workout saw Jackie Warner do the following:
- Dump her girlfriend
- Kiss 5 women
- Go to therapy
- Conduct therapy (With Skylabber’s)
- Design a clothing line ‘ apparel line
- Make amends with her mother
- Confront the emotion surrounding the death of her father
- Deal with the death of Doug Blasdell
- Hook-up with one of her trainers
Question is: Should Jackie Warner and the Skysport Spa Trainers return for season three? What do you think?
Strong & Sexy
It’s reality based, has a strong, sexy lead persona (Jackie Warner), takes place in a cool, hip setting (Sky Sport and Spa) and addresses lifestyle, social issues (gay/lesbian lifestyle, relationship dysfunction, body image, weight loss psychology, and sadly even death and suicide)
Bravo Workout Pulled In Viewers
Bravo brought Workout back for a second season citing in a press release
headlined: BRAVO’S ‘WORK OUT’ FLEXES ITS MUSCLE WITH NEARLY ONE MILLION VIEWERS TUNING INTO TUESDAY NIGHT’S FINALE, A SERIES HIGH FOR THE DOCU-DRAMA HIT.
Season Two: Less Fitness, More?
Season one had solid reviews. So how is the show doing in its second season? Depends on what you’re looking for. My take is season 2 strays too far away from fitness material – but I’ll withhold complete judgment until the season finale…
Here’s some other opinions on the Bravo workout, Jackie Warner and Sky sport & spa crew – season two:
The only issue I had with the show is it focuses less on working out than it does on the dramatic encounters of Warner and the training staff. If I wanted to watch a show about relationship drama, I could choose from countless other reality â€œdramadiesâ€ that dominate the small screen. However, one does not watch “Greyâ€™s Anatomy” primarily for the medical jargon, so perhaps I expected a bit too much on the personal training edge.
Still, “Work Out” is inspiring insofar as its overall message, which is that fit people are happy people. After I caught up on my fair share of re-runs, I was inspired to hit the gym. Although my own local haunt is nothing like Sky Sport & Spa, I still feel like a rockstar on the spin bike! – Mary, West Islip
One of the more entertaining and ‘real,’ series is Bravo’s “Workout.” Centered on SkySport & Spa Gym in Beverly Hills and owner Jackie Warner and her trainers, the show itself plays out like a show within a show.
Yes, it’s entertaining and fun, but you don’t forget for a second that these are real people with real issues and problems just like the rest of us.