Building on the success of her first videogame, star fitness trainer Jillian Michaels returns to Wii with a new and improved fast-paced, high-intensity workout in
Jillian Michaels’ Fitness Ultimatum 2010.
No Cheeseburgers In Paradise
Hey if you have to workout – why not do it in an exotic location? Set on a rugged, Pacific jungle island, players enter a Hell Week-style boot camp with Jillian Michaels. Gamers pick their workout and the backdrop they want Jillian to work out in, ranging from a Hawaii waterfall, beach, and other settings.
Fitness Ultimatum 2010 is filled with new features and workout modes for 2010, including better motion tracking and a calendar system enabling the user to program routines in periods up to 6 months. The game has two modes. “Fitness Resolutions” allows you to set a six-month plan and lay it all out on a calendar. “Exercise With Jillian” is more of a quick-play mode to just jump right in to a workout. See it for yourself below…
Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010 Video
Jackie Warner’s SKYLAB project is designed to help people overcome their struggle with obesity.Â On Bravo’s Workout reality show we catch glimpses of the SKYLAB workouts and process.
But does / will SKYLAB really work?Â What follows is a quick pro/con assessment from what’s been revealed so far on the show:
- Includes mental, physical and emotional elements – frank, emotional discussions take place to uncover self-esteem and insecurity issues that cause clients to over eat for comfort.Â Clients are challenged mentally and educated to make smarter decisions.Â Physically they are pushed to get more from their bodies.
- Includes both personal and group support – SKYLAB clients meet in groups and with trainers.
- Consideration is given to selecting a trainer that can best work with the client – Getting the right trainer with the right client is both art and science but can make or break the outcome.Â In the show Jackie places photos of clients and trainers on the floor.Â I can’t think of a better way to facilitate the process of aligning client and trainer.
- Food is provided – This is a powerful way to simultaneously help clients make immediate progress, leapfrog their weak decision making abilities and provide experiential learning.Â With each meal these clients learn and experience what a proper food choice looks like, tastes like and feels like.Â Plus, they are eating the same food and supplements Jackie Warner does.
- Workout intensity – Jackie Warner’s approach to fitness is all about intensity.Â Exercise intensity certainly gets results, however it also increases risk of minor and serious injury to the client.
Is Proper Progression at SKYLAB?
Fitness professionals manage risk of injury to clients by applying the proper “progression” of frequency, time, type and intensity of workouts. Proper progression allows the client to gradually increase their fitness and tolerate greater exercise stress with reduced risk of injury.Â It appears the workouts being delivered to the SKYLAB clients may be too intense…
A Viewer Opinion
A comment from one of the readers of this blog illustrates a number of concerns about the intensity of the SKYLAB workouts:
Horrible show! As a personal trainer i cringe when i see the horrible training that goes on in this tv show. Itâ€™s bad, really bad. Itâ€™s the reason personal trainers have no credibility in the professional world.
No trainer in their right mind would have unfit, overweight clients do jumping jacks on a hard surface.Â Or inch worm push ups when they canâ€™t keep the form not even remotely right. Or have unfit clients run suicides.
For anyone trying to pick up tips from this show, please donâ€™t. And anyone thinking about paying $400.00 a session with her, youâ€™ve got to be out of your mind.
So Does / Will SKYLAB Be Successful?
Factoring the pros / cons above – the answer seems to be it’s got great potential if the client exercise injury does not become an issue.Â What do you think?
Want To Try SKYLAB?
On the SkySport & Spa Website, there is a public “retreat” version of SKYLAB project.Â It’s promoted as follows:
SkyLab is the ultimate, life-changing opportunity. During this all-inclusive, intense retreat in Northern California, you’ll live, eat with, and workout with Jackie Warner, celebrity trainer and star of the hit Bravo TV show Workout. She will teach you, train you, tone you, inspire you, and give you the discipline and motivation to lose weight for good.
In addition to breaking your sugar addiction, you’ll sweat and work like never before, all under the ever-present and constant watch of Jackie and her team of trainers. Not only will you learn to live healthy and hot in the real world, but you’ll lose substantial weight, reshift your energy, and change the way you relate to the world around you.
This is an experience that will be like no other. Jackie’s effect on people’s lives is unparalleled…and she’s ready to change yours today.
Also from the website a sample schedule of what to expect from SKYLAB:
A Typical Day at SkyLab (*schedule subject to change)
- 6:30 am â€“ Jackie’s personal energy shake, delivered right to your door
- 7:00 am to 9:00 am â€“ two-hour intensity workout
- 9:15 am to 10:15 am â€“ snack and free time
- 10:30 am to 12:00 pm â€“ life goals and healthy eating seminars
- 12:15 pm to 1:15 pm â€“ lunch
- 1:15 pm to 2:30 pm â€“ free time
- 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm â€“ two-hour intensity workout
- 4:30 pm to 5:15 pm â€“ yoga/stretching
- 5:15 pm to 6:45 pm â€“ snack and free time
- 6:45 pm to 7:45 pm â€“ dinner
- 8:00 pm to 9:30 pm â€“ group therapy (conquer your emotional relationship with food!)
Wow – 4 hours of intensity exercise.Â For people with an already high level of fitness this could work, but for obese, deconditioned or those new to exercise this sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Fortunately – the SKYLAB program requires a signed permission form from your physician for acceptance.Â It pulls no punches either – again from the SKYLAB info on the website:
Permission form must clear participant to engage in strenuous activity and a reduced calorie diet. Form must also indicate any physical limitations the participant may have, including but not limited to knee, back, or shoulder injuries.
What Do You Think?
So for those of you interested – the cost is $7,000.00 and you can get $1000.00 off the May 31st session here.
Meantime – for those of you who have read this far…Â Would you try SKYLAB?
The Workout Wait is (Almost) Over
Jackie Warner’s Fitness DVD, titled One-On-One Training with Jackie will be released on May 20.Â The DVD is 60 minutes long.Â You can order it here on Amazon.com.
I got to do a 25 minute preview workout from this video. I did the upper body portion. And let me tell ya I am not going to be able to move my arms tomorrow.
This work out is not something I would recommend for beginners. It will definitely seem intimidating at first. But if you just do as many reps as you can then you will definitely be able to build up to keep up with Jackie and her trainers. Its a great workout.
Jackies queuing is perfect and she gives lots of tips on keeping good form. All you need for this workout is a pair of light hand weights and you are good to go.
Another workout similar to this one that will cause equal amounts of pain is the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred.
Give them both a try if you want a very challenging workout!Jillian Michaels – 30 Day Shred
Sky Sport and Spa’s newest trainer is Greg Plitt.Â He’s a true veteran of the fitness modeling scene and has appeared in dozens of top selling fitness magazines.
In a recent interview with Express, he talks about the rigors of being a fitness model and the unrealistic extremes it takes to get a cover model look:
Â» EXPRESS: How did you get into fitness modeling?
Â» PLITT: I had just come back from Korea and I was stationed in D.C., living in a house off-base. It was a dump in Arlington.
So, my mom called and said she’d found a voucher for a one-night stay at a Marriott and asked if I wanted it. So, my buddies and I are there hanging out by the bar when all of these good-looking men and women came in.
Turns out, it was a modeling industry event. Two weeks later, I did a test shoot, and that landed me the cover of Muscle & Fitness. I read the magazine, so I thought that was really cool.
Â» EXPRESS: How does one get to look like you?
Â» PLITT: The better the picture looks, the worse you feel. You get your body fat down to single digits, dehydrate yourself and get rid of carbs â€” it’s not very healthy. And you need to be ready because the model is the last person hired on a shoot. If you like going to the gym, that’s not a problem. I do a body part a day in a five-day split. I never plan a day off.
Â» EXPRESS: What do you do after a shoot?
Â» PLITT: I pig out. The night before is the worst â€” you never miss the food; you miss the water. I dream that I’m under a waterfall and I’m drinking all of it. The dehydration part’s not fun. My clients, I would never tell them to do that. They want to look like these covers and I tell them, “That’s not real.” And Photoshop is your friend.
Â» EXPRESS: What’s your favorite workout?
Â» PLITT: Just getting on a treadmill and running five miles. Or climbing ropes. I’m an athlete and I like moving a lot â€” being on a machine doesn’t do much for me.
Here’s a video of Greg in action:
Back in early May we posted:
We asked. You answered… Undeniably YES.
Now hey, we’re not talking a huge sample here – but 33 is what we’ve got to date and there wasn’t a negative in the bunch.
Here’s a few prime comment examples of how badly some want to see Workout Season 3:
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love your show and it needs to come back, plsâ€¦u are my motivation..luv u guys and so does my boyfriend i got him hooked on your show..
YES, WE WANT SEASON THREE. its helped me with my battle. i love watching jackie and the other trainers, i am becoming a personnel trainer, so its fun to watch the way they do things. hope to see you back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely!! Iâ€™m addicted to Workout! It has inspired me to get into shape and get healthy. Plus the drama is unbeatable. AND . . . Jackie is hot (And Iâ€™m straight)!!!
Yes! It really has motivated me as well. I started doing the shakes awhile ago and they work great!
Of course yes!!! I wanna see season 3. I love the show. She has great personality and inspiration. She cares about the clients and trainers. She has a nice great body and good shape. I wanna be like her. I follow what she says and does.
- debora Sun, 20 May 2007 11:28:58 PDT edit
Definetly yes, bring the show onâ€¦.it would be a huge disappointment to alot of viewers and fans.
Workout gave me the willpower to get off the couch and start making changes in my life. I finally got the recipe for her morning shake. And Iâ€™m definetly looking forward to checking out her clothing line. Everything about SkySport and all the trainers and of course the beautiful Jackie.
In the finale show Jackie brought up she might leave out her love lifeâ€¦Come on Jackie, thats what heats up the show. It puts the icing on the cakeâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..
Looking forward to season three.
I have been to skysport and Jackie really is the sh**. She knows exactly what she is doing. The show is great. I canâ€™t wait for the 3rd season!!!!!! Keep up the good work everyoneâ€¦(workout) I have been very motivated since the show and working out there!!!! It really worksâ€¦
- Elizabeth Fri, 29 Jun 2007 05:58:10 PDT edit
Definitely, bring that hot bodied show back for another season, or 2, or 3. I could never get to much of Jackie, Erika, Zen, & Brian. They are addictive to watch.
So what do you say Bravo? Are you going to announce Workout Season 3 soon?
Many people are eager for detailed exercise advice from Jackie Warner, star of Bravo’s reality show Workout.
Unfortunately she’s not very accessible unless you go to L.A. and drop $400.00 a session (5 session minimum).
There’s a better way to get the information you want from Jackie.
Just read Making The Cut by Jackie Warner’s Business Partner – Jillian Michaels
Jillian Michaels co-owns Skysport & Spa with Jackie Warner. And if you read their interviews and advice in the media you’ll find they have pretty much the same philosophy and approach when it comes to nutrition, exercise and weight loss. This comes as no surprise if they co-own the same gym. But here’s the good part…
Jillian Michaels Advice Is Accessible
She’s produced some great instructional fitness products. She’s got her two best selling fitness books. She’s got her best selling DVD workouts. And she’s got lots of target training and beginner workouts too.
Just in case you’re not familiar with Jillian, here’s a Bio excerpt from a 2005 Washington Post Interview transcript:
Jillian Michaels, the Beverly Hills-based personal trainer who coached her team to victory on NBC’s “The Biggest Loser”… Michaels is co-owner of Sky Sport and Spa, a penthouse fitness facility in Beverly Hills. Her clients include actors such as Amanda Peet and Mark Ruffalo. Among her credentials, she holds a Black Belt in Muay Thai. She lives in Los Angeles, California.
So I think the moral of this story is… The best way to get your Jackie Warner workout my be through Jillian!
But for clothing – that’s another matter. Here you can go straight to the source and get Jackie Warner’s Skylab clothing line.
Q&A with Jackie Warner compliments of the Boston Herald:
Q: Is it easier to lose weight in the summer?
A: “People tend to lose weight in the summer because their body temperature is more heated, theyâ€™re more active, they change their behavior. People walk more, theyâ€™re more athletic.”
Q: But do people tend to eat more things like margaritas and hot dogs because they think theyâ€™re exercising more?
A: “Thatâ€™s a caveat, but I easily shed three to five pounds once the rainy season is over in L.A. — not because I change my workout, I just naturally stop eating.”
Q: What about working out in the heat? Bad idea?
A: “I think itâ€™s great to work outdoors; I prefer it to a gym. It warms up your body temperature and muscles. I know itâ€™s bad for your skin, but I love working out in the sun, too. Just slather on the sunscreen and make sure you drink a lot of water.”
Q: Any advice for folks going on vacation? How do you stick to a fitness plan?
A: “If youâ€™re going on summer vacation, workout by hiking or walking. I mean, snorkeling is an intense workout. I used to only stay at hotels with gyms, but what a waste! I never used them. Sleep, swim, snorkel, have fun and keep it interesting.”
Q: Whatâ€™s the biggest lesson youâ€™ve learned from being on reality TV?
A: “That all of this is on my shoulders, and while the Bravo executives may like me and take me out to dinner and value what I am doing, they donâ€™t care if I win or lose. Sky Lab and Sky Sport and my fashion line, all of it is on me, and I have to make it work. You only have yourself to rely on, thatâ€™s what I learned.”
We collected these 24 fitness tips from interviews, shows and quotes so you can get Jackie Warner’s advice all in one place…
1. Eat low glycemic, low refined sugar meals.
2. Her motto – “Everything done in moderation.”
3. Every weekend is a cheat weekend. But Mon-Fri be strict with your nutrition.
4. Have a protein shake for breakfast.
5. Be careful of high sugar content in canned foods
6. Flavor foods naturally
7. Fresh salsa is one of the best low fat food flavorings
8. Don’t skip meals. It puts your body into a starvation mode and increases the chances that more of the calories from your next meal will be stored as fat.
9. Don’t drink diet soda – it can trigger a craving for carbohydrates.
10. If you are eating out, start with the vegetable portion of your meal, then move to meat, then finally the starches.
11. Eat “The Good”, “The Bad”, then “The Ugly” foods. The trick is to make yourself full on the GOOD foods so you will eat less of the UGLY foods.
On Abdominal Exercises
12. “Crunches are a waste of time”
13. Lifting weights with exercises that target the big muscle groups (chest, back, legs & butt) is the way to get better abs.
14. The only way to truly get shredded is to have a pretty balanced diet with a nice balance of cardio, but most importantly, weight lifting.
On Working Out…
15. Cardio is over-rated – resistance training your big muscle groups is what speeds metabolism.
16. If you can’t afford a personal trainer, educate yourself on fitness. Buy a fitness magazine or book.
17. The plyometric jump squat and lunges are great for your butt.
18. Fitness is about the “Three F’s” of Function, Form & Fatigue. It’s about performing the right function back-to-back with perfect form to complete fatigue.
19. For great shoulders and armsâ€¦ Do the push-up/punch combo. Start by doing as many push-ups in a row as you can. Then stand up, grab a couple of soup cans and punch one arm out, then the other, for one minute.
20. It’s not about how much time you spend in the gym. It’s about getting the most bang for your buck.
21. Swimming is great total body exercise.
22. Simplicity is key. Do not over-think your fitness routine or your diet.
On Health Insurance…
23. Less medication, more motivation.
24. High intensity training can lessen the need for sleep aids and anti-depressant medications.
Here’s an innovative way to motivate a client who likes to watch T.V.Â Hook the EnterTrainer up and wear its heart rate monitor to exercise while watching T.V..Â Â
Your clientÂ needs to keep their heart rate up in their target zone to keep watching.Â IfÂ their heart rateÂ drops too low – Â first the T.V. sound goes off and then the T.V. shuts off completely.
Now that’s motivation!